Skip to content

Who Is Eligible?

Who is eligible?

To qualify, your water supply should not be used to water gardens (other than by hand) or fill a pond or swimming pool with a capacity greater than 10,000 litres.

Also, the following two conditions need to be fulfilled:

1. You, or another person living with you, receive:

  • Council tax benefit
  • Housing tax benefit
  • Income support
  • Job Seeker Allowance
  • Pension credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (except for families in receipt of the family element only)

2. There are three or more children under the age of 19 living in your property for whom child benefit is claimed, or someone in the household has one of the following medical conditions:

  • Crohn's Disease
  • Abdominal stomas
  • Incontinence
  • Weeping skin disease (desquamation, eczema, psoriasis, varicose ulceration)
  • Kidney failure requiring dialysis at home (except where a contribution is made by the health authority toward the cost your water use)
  • Ulcerative colitis
  • Any other condition that necessitates significant extra water use

How to apply

If you think you qualify for the scheme, please download the application form (relevant to your network area) from our Useful Documents page, and send back to us with the supporting documents requested in the form. If you are not sure which application form to download, you can find your Network Number on the second page of your bill.

Alternatively, you can Contact Us online, or call us on 02920 028 711and one of our Customer Service team will be happy to help you.

Benefits or tax credits

Please provide a photocopy of the latest notice of entitlement or award notice. This notice needs to be less than one year old for benefits and less than six months old for tax credits.

Three or more children for whom benefit is claimed:

Please provide either a completed copy of the CH84TS form (available from the Child Benefit Centre), or a photocopy of both the front and inside cover of your child benefit book.

Medical condition (specified on the list above)

Please provide medical evidence, such as a doctor's certificate, a letter or statement signed by the registered medical practitioner, or a copy of a repeat prescription.

Medical condition (not specified on the list above)

Please provide a written certificate or statement signed by a registered medical practitioner that states:

  • The name of the person with the medical condition
  • The diagnosis of the medical condition that results in significant water use
  • Date the certificate was given
  • Name and address of the registered practitioner

We may need to contact someone regarding the information provided in your application form (like the Benefits Agency, Inland Revenue or your medical practitioner), but we will treat it as confidential and not use it for any other purpose.

If you're successful, the WaterSure tariff will be applied from the date of your last meter reading and will last until the next scheduled meter reading (after 12 months have passed). You will need to re-register if you think you still qualify for the scheme. Don't worry, we'll send a letter to remind you.

If you don't re-register, your account will automatically transfer to the basic tariff. If you tell us halfway through the year that you are no longer eligible for the WaterSure scheme, we will switch your account to the basic tariff from the date of the next scheduled meter reading.

If you think you qualify and would like to apply, please download an application form here